The Free Market: Fostering Flourishing In An Environment of Ethics - Myths & RealitiesDr. Jay Richards - Senior Fellow with the Discovery Institute
- How have the Progressives so successfully sold Marxist-economics and distorted free market capitalism to Americans?
- Over the last century, which system has expansively conveyed flourishing to the populace of countries across the globe?
- What are the dangerous implications of government cronyism with large corporations - is this really capitalism?
- And, how are these collaborating to use the "green movement" to undermine our economic system?
Friday night at 7:00pm and Saturday morning at 9:00am - Sept 19-20th, 2014.
Holiday Inn Grand: 5500 Midland Road, Billings, MT - Room TBA
Free Markets: The Cause of Inequality, Pollution, and even... Tooth Decay?
You can hardly turn on the news without hearing capitalism blamed for everything from slavery to the recent recession. Dr. Jay Richards does an amazing job of putting things in perspective. He is helping young adults realize that Free Markets can be part of the solution rather than being the cause of inequality. Jay is a rare breed! His life journey enables him to present these issues with a unique outlook. As a young man, he was an avid reader of Sojourners Magazine that promotes Marxism and demonizes capitalism. But as he studied scripture he walked away from that ideology, did the Ayn Rand thinking for a while and came to realize that healthy free markets undergirded by the rule of law and tempered with ethics were the best alternative for promoting flourishing for all. Richards presents the most understandable, comprehensive, culturally relevant instruction on the fit of free markets with Christianity that you will find.
Myths that Capture our Youth:
No other principle has been presented with more distortion in our schools and Universities than Capitalism. Youth are taught that it is the cause of poverty, wealth inequality, environmental pollution - the list goes on. Darwinism brought us not only the destructive myth of evolution, but a Progressive thinking that touched every discipline including economic systems. The 20th century was one big lab experiment for the economic theories of the 18th and 19th centuries. The results of that experiment are in - Marxists-Socialism lost!
- Will the Gap between Rich and Poor Get Wider?
- Why doesn't wealth get distributed evenly?
- Why are higher minimum wages destructive to the poor?
- What happens when governments intervene in markets, and trade?
- The economic downturn - was it Wall Street or was it Washington?
Program Basics - see also Complete Program comings soon Program - Friday Evening Agenda:Program - Friday Evening Agenda:
6:30 pm - Registration: Meet and greet, and book opportunity
7:00 - 8:00 pm - Myths Christians Believe about Wealth, Poverty, and Capitalism
8:10 - 9:10 pm - How to (Really) Alleviate Poverty, and Create Wealth for All
Saturday Morning Agenda:
7:00 - 8:00 am - Breakfast with the speaker, informal - time for your questions
8:30 am - Registration: Meet and greet, and book opportunity
9:00 - 10:00 am - Is God Green? Christians and the Climate Change Controversy.
10:15 - 11:30 am -) Why Libertarians Need God - theism for those who believe in freedom, individual rights, and responsibility, reason, and moral truth.
Upcoming Seminars- Dr. Jay Richards - Senior Fellow at the Discovery Institute. Sept. 19-20, 2014 Eight Myths about Capitalism: It's Fit with Christianity. Also Intelligent Design from a Christian Perspective
- Dr. Brian Mattson - Senior Scholar for Public Theology, Center for Cultural Leadership
Nov 14-15, 2014 Politics & Challenging Secularism's Sense of Entitlement by Our Engagement
- Sean McDowell - Worldview Ministries, What You Need to Know about Student Cultures Today Jan. 16-17th, 2015 Very popular communicator to adults and youth alike.
- Dr. Frank Turek - President of Cross Examined Feb 27-28th, 2015 - I don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Athiest & Legislating Morality In a Politically Correct Culture
- Dr. Glenn Sunshine - Professor of Early Modern European History, Central Connecticut State University. Glenn is a Fellow at the Acton Institute, Faculty member at Colson Center Centurions Program, and at Prison Fellowship. April 17-18th, 2015. What Has Christianity Ever Done For Us - The Influence on Western Thought?
Dick Pence - Coordinator 406-534-2019 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributions to: Big Sky Worldview Forum, c/o Donna Braun, 333 S. 38th St. W., Billings, MT 59102
Our SpeakerDr. Jay Richards is one of the most sought after speakers in America on free markets, intelligent design, and the threats of big government! His book "Money, Greed and God: Why Capitalism is the Solution and Not the Problem" was winner of the 2010 Templeton Enterprise Award. His best seller "Infiltrated" makes the case that government's intervention and its cronyism with big corporations is part of their strategy to destroy the true free market. Jay is a Fellow at Discovery Institute, the Institute of Faith, Work & Economics, the Acton Institute, the Heritage Foundation, and contributing editor of The American at the American Enterprise Institute. He has written in the Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Daily Color and many other publications. Richards is an Assistant Research Professor in the School of Business and Economics at the Catholic University of America. Jay has appeared on hundreds of radio and television programs including Fox, Huckabee, and Glenn Beck. He is the producer of several documentaries including The Privileged Planet and author of two other best selling books.
Jay has a Ph.D., in philosophy and theology from Princeton. He lives with his family in the Washington D.C. Metro area.
Find more of Jay at http://www.discovery.org OR the Institute for Faith, Work, & Economics at http://www.tifwe.org/news/welcome-dr-jay-richards/
What is the Genus of Wealth Creation and Flourishing?Dealing with Liberal Myths
● The Nirvana-Utopia Myth: We can build a Just Society, but capitalism will not.
● The Piety Myth: What would Jesus do? Good intentions, government programs, and unintended consequences.
● The Zero Sum Game Myth: Trade requires a winner and a loser fostering unfair competition.
● The Materialism Myth: The world's wealth is finite! Wealth is not created, it is only transferred.
● The Greed Myth: Capitalism is based on greed - confusing selfishness with self interest.
● The Artsy Myth: Capitalism leads to ugly consumerism - confusing economic-market systems - with ethics and morality issues.
● Is God Green? Christians and the Climate Change Controversy - the Left's tool to transform America.
● Why Libertarians Need God - theism for those who believe in freedom, individual rights and responsibility, reason, and moral truth